Maliyah Bass’s body dumped in storm sewers, prosecutors say

During the search and investigation, the couple were inconsolable and moved by the disappearance of the little girl.

HOUSTON – We learn more about the criminal charges filed after a baby girl’s body was found in a Houston bayou over the summer.

The mother of the child, Sahara Ervin, 20, and the mother’s boyfriend, Travion Thompson, 21, were taken into custody and charged with child injury and tampering with evidence on Tuesday. A probable cause hearing took place overnight.

However, there are still many questions about the case, including the timeline of the disappearance of 2-year-old Maliyah Bass and how exactly she died. Prosecutors said Ervin hit the child with a blunt object.

A jogger found the baby girl’s body in Brays Bayou on August 23, just a day after her mother reported her missing. The mother of the child claimed that she left the toddler alone for about five minutes in the yard of an apartment complex in southwest Houston.

After the child’s body was found in the bayou, her mother and the mother’s boyfriend were brought in for questioning on several occasions.

Houston police said Monday they brought the couple again for questioning “after evidence of their involvement in Maliyah’s disappearance was uncovered.” They were arrested and charged the next day.

Prosecutors allege that Ervin and her boyfriend injured the 2-year-old, and after his death they put his body in a storm drain where the child’s remains floated about 20 miles from the bayou.

Thompson, the boyfriend, spent the night in court, but the girl’s mother did not appear for medical reasons.

The story Ervin and Thompson first told to police and the public was that Maliyah was last seen alive playing in a playground. Throughout the investigation and media interviews, the couple seemed inconsolable and emotional on Maliyah’s disappearance:

But now the police say they knew what had happened from the start.

In court overnight, a judge set the bond at $ 175,000 for the mother and $ 150,000 for the boyfriend. If she posts a bond, Ervin will have to wear a GPS monitor and have a 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. curfew. The couple are due to return to court on Thursday morning.

On Tuesday, the child’s father said he still wanted more answers in the case.

“I want to know what really happened to him and I’m glad they found out,” Octavious Bass said.

“I am convinced that a criminal act is involved and what the family now wants is justice”, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said after Maliyah’s body was found.

When the child’s body was found, Ervin was at the scene and appeared inconsolable and collapsed to the ground. On August 23, Thompson was also seen on camera being very moved by the news.

“You’re all supposed to have four or five dogs looking for my baby,” he said at the time.

About Michelle Anderson

Check Also

Private sector banks report significant increase in MSME lending market share: CRIF High Mark

Private sector banks (PvSB) reported a significant increase in micro, small and medium enterprise (MSME) …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.